Monday, March 7, 2011

FCCB Challenge Me Monday #50 - Ahoy Matey!

It's Monday and it is my first post as a Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog Design Team Member.
The FCCB Challenge this week is to make a project with a tree on it. 
I am super anxious to share this first project with you.
Because I am going on vacation soon, a palm tree was the first tree that popped into my mind.
I had actually been working on this on and off for about a month. My plan was to send a quick card to my fellow vacationers but it just wasn't coming together like I wanted to and getting a little "overboard" for a quick card, if you know what I mean.
This challenge was the extra push I needed to get it done.
So not only did I make this for the challenge, but I made 8, yes 8 additional ones to mail to the 8 couples we are cruising with. I hope it gets them super excited about our tropical vacation.

I used one of my all time favorite carts, Life's a Beach for majority of the cuts. I also used SpongeBob Square Pants for the frame, Campout for the little sign, and Summer Vacation for the palm tree. The sentimental inside is my own printed from my computer.

I will do my best to explain how I did the whole project below. There are many layers and cutting/welding with the Gypsy/Cricut to get that dimensional, almost shadow box effect. You can see in the picture to the right, the many different layers.






The CCCC #9 Challenge is Life's a Beach so I am linking this over there as well since I am proud of how this turned out.

Here's how I did it...
Base card is a standard A2 size
Solid paper is all Bazzill
Red dot paper for the the ship is Bo Bunny
All other paper from my scrap stash
Bamboo frame cut 4.17"x5.09" 2 times from SpongeBob Squarepants cart, p.57(each of these will be glue to the top of a welded frame/wave section)
Dark blue waves from Life's a Beach, p. 45; 2 sections 2.16" x .82 each, welded together and then welded to the inside of a bamboo frame
Light blue waves from Life's a Beach, p. 45; 3 sections 1.81" x 1" each, welded together and then welded to the inside of a bamboo frame
Palm tree cut at 1.77"x4.31" from Summer Vacation in both green and brown
Cuttlebug distressed Stripes embossing folder on palm trees for texture


Sign/layers cut at 1.46"x1.94" from Campout Cartridge
Flower/layers cut at 1.25" from Life's a Beach, p.34
Dolphin cut at  1" from Life's a Beach, p.71
Ship/layers cut at 3.28"x1.82" from Life's a Beach, p.77

Now you have it all cut, time to layer it up..
 
I used some brown chalk for most layers and white chalk on the waves.
A bit of jute twine for around the frame corner
Doodles with my gel pen and lots of dimensional adhesive to get the 3-D effect.

22 comments:

Kimmers said...

Great cards, hope you have a great vacation. Please stop by my blog as I have a Stylish Blogger Award waiting for you to pick up:) Congrats!!

Kim at frenziedfabrications.blogspot.com

Maquel said...

What a beautiful card!! You did a fantastic job with the chalking...and all the other details! Your fellow cruisers will LOVE it! Makes me want to take a cruise! Great job with DT inspiration!!

Maquel (Fellow DT member)
http://papermaineiac.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love palm trees. They are my favorite! You did such a wonderful job on your card. I hope you have tons of fun on your Cruise!

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

Wow...not only did you create a beautiful card, but you made 8 of them?! You have been busy, you deserve this cruise! I love your card, so much detail to take in and admire...awesome!
Tanya

Saundra said...

Wow! What a great card! This would definately put me in the mood. I love all the dimension. Great job on the challenge!

Hugs,
Saundra :)

The card boutique said...

Wow this is a beautiful card,it has a lot of detail TFS!!

Sarah said...

Holy buckets! I love this card and I almost spilled my coffee all over my keyboard--I got so excited when I saw you made 8...holy smokes! I hope your cruise is amazing!

Robin's Creative Cottage said...

Wow.... fantastic... and I would love to go on a cruise... Enjoy!!!
You are amazing!

Barb Craft said...

This is spectacular!! It makes me ready to head out on vacation!1 Love all the layering!
barb :)

My Lil' Bits said...

I love this card! All 8 of them! I hope you have a great trip!

Lisa C

Anonymous said...

This a beautiful card and so many wonderful details. My favorite is that all your layering is still so clean that you can actually enjoy each and every detail! I am going to love designing with you!

Jennie Garcia said...

Super cute card!! With so much details!! I can't believe you made 8 of those!! TFS!! Take Care!!
Jennie @ http://earthyscrap.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Oh Barb! This is such a great card!!! The WHOLE card is put together SOOO well.

Kate said...

Oh wow!! These are just SUPER!! What a lot of work but well worth the effort. It's wonderful to have you along on the FCCB team!

AmyJRockstar said...

My goodness! These are amazing! I can't believe it, but I don't own a single cartridge that you've used and now I want them all. :( LOL - Awesome job! So happy to be on the DT with you.
:)
XO ~ Amy Jo
http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com/
amyjrockstar at gmail dot com

Jarna said...

Those are so cute!

Rhonda Emery said...

love this wish I was somewhere like in the card. ha

Lisa Norris said...

This is just SOOOO cute! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa N
prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

Sherri said...

Beautiful and it takes me right to the Caribbean! Thank you so much for sharing!

Sherrie K. said...

Beautiful work....I love all the details and put together very nice. Well done!!!
Sherrie K.
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

L.B. said...

I loveyour cruise cards. Sounds like a party on a boat!!

Crafting Misfit said...

Great job!
www.craftingmisfit.blogspot.com